If you know of my past and that whole ‘giving birth to a child‘ ordeal 3 1/2 years ago, it’s no surprise I’ve had my fair share of, let’s just call them lady issues.

No person should ever have to go through 56 hours of labor. Ever. While the doctors at the time said there may be a slight risk something could arise, such as an adverse effect to the blood transfusions or other minor issues, my chances slimmed as the years went by and once my sons fifth birthday rolled around, I’d be out of the woods. No such luck.

I’m not one to want to lay around. I’m highly motivated to make a difference in the world through my work; whether it be with my jewelry business or career in media. So I continued to truck along, despite not feeling well. I even took on a full time position that was offered to me at Hubbard Radio in June of 2011,  just four short months after Myles was born. Still not really feeling like myself, I managed to make it through until I started to feel more like myself in 2012. I dropped the last twenty-five pounds early in the year and felt like things were back to were they were supposed to be.

Fast forward to this June 2014 and I accepted a similar job at a local ABC affiliate news station. While there have always been days that weren’t so great after having my son, I continued to distract myself with work. I’m blessed to say I’m passionate about what I do.

I’ve always had this fear of something going wrong in the back of my mind over the last three years, but kept a positive mindset in hopes that my fears were irrational.

But I was in pain. A lot of pain.  I was always constantly fatigued but chocked it up to my work schedule, motherly duties and  taking on too many projects. You know, all the things most women are guilty of.

Finally I had enough and went to the doctor I trusted. The one I switched to shortly after having my son. Without going into details, within a week I was scheduled for surgery, meaning I could never have children again. Honestly, it wasn’t the end of the world. I was more desperate to feel better.

Here was my Facebook blurb + surgery post:


Endometrial Ablation Surgery and Process

Surgery went well from what I thought. I was sore. The air from the laproscopic procedure seemed to be the most persistent annoyance, but nothing I couldn’t handle. The surgery was on a Tuesday and I went back to work the following Monday in yoga pants appearing to be about five months pregnant. We even went as far as naming my ‘air baby’ at the office.

A few weeks went by and as I was supposed to feeling better, I only felt the same. Sometimes, worse. I went back in-between my post-op appointment to make sure everything was okay, but they assured me all was normal. The next week I went in I heard a different story. I had an internal infection and went on several different types of antibiotics. Surely, we all thought that was the issue and life would be great again a few days.

It wasn’t. I was so fatigued I could sleep anywhere. I’d take my lunch breaks and sleep in my car. At that point, I just had a feeling things were about to turn for the worse. I was missing more time at work than actually working. Even worse, despite the surgery, I was still in the exact same amount of pain.

Friday, September 5th was the day I couldn’t take it anymore. I went to a meeting at work, scheduled yet another doctor appointment for that afternoon and was told when I was at the office, it’d probably be a good idea to head over to the emergency room due to blood loss. My white cell count was high and was also becoming anemic.  From there I was admitted into the hospital so they could keep a close eye on me overnight, with the possibility of an emergency surgery if the medication I was given didn’t stop the bleeding.

Fast-forward and the following week and I was heading to another hospital for a complete hysterectomy. My surgery was on September 16th. Most people fear this sort of invasive, major abdominal surgery but I was relieved. By this point, I was already on medical leave from work over a week (bless the people I work with for being so understanding).

Hysterectomy Surgery - After Care

The surgery took around three hours, which of course I remember nothing of. Waking up from the aneshetia was a little difficult and I don’t remember too much that evening aside from nurses coming in every hour to either check my vital signs, take blood or untangle me from the mess of IV wires and assist me to the bathroom.

It’s now been exactly five weeks since surgery and the diagnosis was moderate Adenomyosis.

Prior to the surgery, I never researched any sort of side effects of the surgery because I didn’t have a choice. There was no point in scaring myself over other women’s side effects. Just as pregnancies and birth differ from woman to woman, so do hysterectomies.

The first week post-op, my main problem was the fear of my insides falling out. Seriously!Standing up was horrifying.  I also needed assistance walking and taking a shower. I was bruised, sore and stayed in bed most of the week.

My body went from feeling 30 to feeling 70 overnight and it still continues to be a struggle. My hair started to fall out as a side effect of the surgery and I’ll occasionally have a fever followed by chills, which I hear can last up to three months post-op.

Writing this out was probably just as hard as when I wrote out my birth experience. In the end and looking back, I’ll be glad I did. Maybe this can serve as some sort of inspiration to those of you out there that are going through the same thing. Or perhaps, just inspire you to cherish good health.

Whenever I start having coping issues, I am reminded that things could always be worse and in fact, I’m quite lucky that both surgeries went smoothly. My dads friend has ALS, meaning everyday was going to be the best day of his life as the disease would progress each day. It’s a harsh yet simple reminder to cherish every moment you have. Yes,  even the moments when you’re blogging about hysterectomies.

I’m happy to say I’ve completed a full week back to work at the news station and am slowly working on adding things back into my routine, such as blogging.

1 comment on “5 weeks later: My 2nd birth experience, but this time it wasn’t a baby.”

I love reading your feedback! Feel free to leave a comment!