After using coconut oil for the first time in a Chicken Curry recipe, I sought out other recipes using this magnificent oil. But come to find out, Coconut Oil is great for just about everything!

After doing some research, listed below are one hundred ways in which you can use this very versatile oil.

Note: Please consult with your doctor first if you are planning to use Coconut Oil  to treat a medical condition and please, use at your own discretion.DIY: Uses for Coconut Oil Health:

• Eat a teaspoonful for an energy boost or take a spoonful with your vitamins to help increase absorption.
  • Use Coconut oil to help soothe chicken pox, shingles and other skin irritations and rashes.
  • Another health use- apply it to athlete’s foot, ringworm or other fungal infections
  • Dab a little on a baby’s diaper rash
  • You can also use the oil to help with cradle cap.
  • Spread a thin layer on a burn to quicken the healing time
  • Ingesting Coconut Oil is said to help thyroid conditions.
  • Use in replace of massage oil
  • Consuming Coconut Oil while nursing is said to increase your milk flow
  • Apply to bug bites to sooth itch and sting
  • If you happen to get nose bleeds in the winter, coat the inside of your nose with a small amount.
  • It is said that taking a spoonful will help reduce and eliminate migraines
  • Massage into tired, achy or sore muscles to help relieve the pain
  • Mix a small amount with oregano and apply to the first signs of a cold sore
  • Dab on a canker sore to speed up heeling and help soothe the pain
  • Ingest a small amount and let it dissolve in your mouth and run down the back of your throat to ease the discomfort of a sore throat

Beauty:

• Use as a super conditioner for your hair. Apply to dry hair, then shampoo as normal.
  • You can also use it as a styling agent for dry hair. Rub a small amount into your palms and apply to hair.
  • Put some in a small container to use as lip balm.
  • Dab a small amount under your arms to use as a natural deodorant.
  • Use it in place of shaving cream
  • Add a small amount to your bath water to create a moisturizing soak
  • Use as a make-up remover
  • Use around your eyes to help prevent wrinkles
  • Use to reduce the visibility of stretch marks
  • Apply to stomach when pregnant to aid in preventing stretch marks
  • Use as a mascara brush cleaner
  • Brush on eyelashes to help strengthen them
  • Use on pimple and acne to help heal it
  • Apply on cracked or rough heels
  • Massage into your nails and cuticles to help strengthen them
  • Mix with the spice nutmeg and apply to blemishes for 15 minutes. Wash off and notice a difference in your skin
  • If you wax at home, Use on your skin after waxing to help with the redness and to remove any access wax.

DIY:

• Use it as a base for a homemade body scrub, toothpaste or lotion.
  • In addition, you can also use Coconut Oil as a base for a vapor rub.
  • Try mixing it with lemon balm, tea tree oil or rosemary for creating an insect repellent
  • Use instead of WD-40
  • Mix with baking soda to create a non-toxic form of Goo-Gone
  • Use as a metal polish, however, test a small area first.
  • Also use it to season cast iron pans
  • Use to remove chewing gum from the bottom of your shoes

Home:

• Use to condition your wooden cutting boards
  • Use as a leather moisturizer. However, test a small area first!
  • If you have gum stuck in your hair and before grabbing the scissors, try using a small amount of coconut oil. the gum should come right out.
  • Use as a guitar string lubricant
  • Use a little on a damp cloth to clean a slimy shower. Wipe the surface again with more oil followed by spraying with vinegar and wipe dry
  • I’ve read Coconut Oil works as a non-toxic flea treatment for cats and dogs
  • Use on artificial or real plants to shine leaves in replace of the chemical-filled spray that can be purchased.
  • Add a small amount to a cloth to detail the inside of your car
  • Use to clean brushes and hands after painting with an oil-based paint

Cooking:

• Replace the less healthy oils in your kitchen with Coconut oil
  • Add a teaspoonful to smoothies to help add flavor and added nutrition.
  • Use to oil your pans and baking dishes instead of pan spray
  • Put a small amount on toast and add cinnamon for a healthy cinnamon toast
  • Use as a base for homemade candy, such as chocolates.
  • Mix with garlic and use it to make food extra flavorful
  • Add a teaspoonful to soup for added nutrition
  • Add flavor to baked goods
  • Make your own peanut butter with the base being Coconut Oil
  • Use to lubricate scissors when cutting up sticky things such as marshmallows for recipes
  • Use instead of shortening when making pie crusts or biscuits

[Resources for this post: 1,2,3,4]

[For even more ideas, check out this post from Health Ambition]

83 Comments on The Many Amazing Uses for Coconut Oil

1. Jeanea Smith
    February 20, 2013 at 9:23 pm (5 years ago)

While I’m not big on the taste of coconut, I love the conditioning factors for the skin. I use unrefined coconut oil daily for my skin, face and hair. If you have dry hair, which I do, coconut oil is great. Of all oils that you may use on your hair, coconut oil is the only oil that compares to sebum, the oil emitted from your scalp. Coconut is also a humectant. A humectant pulls moisture out of the air into your hair, or skin, whichever place that you have applied the oil. However, on really dry day, it will pull moisture out of your hair or skin and put the moisture back into the air. So you have gauge how dry the air is before using.

I will have to try some of the other things mentioned here, I love natural to do and remedies. Great post.

• Megan Fenno
      February 21, 2013 at 3:14 pm (5 years ago)

Thank you Jeanea! Your tips are fabulous and we really appreciate the feedback. ๐Ÿ™‚

• renee
        April 9, 2013 at 2:55 pm (4 years ago)

please email me on the age one can start intaking coconut oil..i have a 10 yr old who loves it,i do too..however we are new to iy. i spoke with a pharmacist who stated it wasn’t a good idea.what it does in it’s hardened state is what it does in your artiries.i learning of it’s many uses ;however as one with health issues including diabetes i’m confused. i’d appreciate any help you can provide. thank you,renee

• Melanie
          July 19, 2013 at 7:35 pm (4 years ago)

Coconut oil melts at 75 degrees. Your inside body temp is 98.6 therefore it shouldn’t harden in your arteries. My theory anyways.

2. Jeanea Smith
    February 20, 2013 at 9:23 pm (5 years ago)

• Megan Fenno
      February 21, 2013 at 3:14 pm (5 years ago)

• renee
        April 9, 2013 at 2:55 pm (4 years ago)

• Barbara
          June 17, 2013 at 8:19 pm (4 years ago)

I use coconut oil on my 3 year old daughter’s hair all the time to condition it. She loves it and it works great!

• Melanie
          July 19, 2013 at 7:35 pm (4 years ago)

3. Carolyn
    February 24, 2013 at 7:13 pm (5 years ago)

I love all the ideas you have listed here and can’t wait to try many of them. I already use Coconut Oil for most of my cooking needs so it’s always on hand. I’ve also heard it really helps people with MS, if they will put a couple of big tablespoons in their oatmeal in the morning, within a few weeks they are not so stiff and even think more clear. Someone else sent me that information, had you ever heard about it? Loved your article. Carolyn

4. Carolyn
    February 24, 2013 at 7:13 pm (5 years ago)

5. samy
    February 25, 2013 at 2:40 pm (5 years ago)

Doesn’t a tablespoon of coconut oil have 60% the daily amount of saturated fat? Why is that healthier than other oils?

• Megan Fenno
      February 25, 2013 at 4:32 pm (5 years ago)

Hi Samy! here is the information I was able to find:
      First, 92 percent of its fat is saturated. That makes coconut oil far more saturated than most other oils and fats. Olive and soybean oils, for example, are about 15 percent saturated, while beef fat is about 50 percent saturated and butter is 63 percent saturated. (Only palm kernel oil, at 82 percent saturated, rivals coconut oil.)

All those saturated chemical bonds explain why coconut oil is solid at room temperature and doesn’t go rancid quickly. That makes it attractive to many candy makers, who use it in chocolate, yogurt, and other coatings that donโ€™t melt until they hit your mouth. (It’s also why some vegansโ€”who eat no meat, fish, eggs, or dairy foodsโ€”use it as a butter substitute.)

Coconut oil is also unusual because it contains a high percentage of medium-chain triglycerides, or MCTs.

Most oils consist entirely of long-chain triglycerides, or LCTs, which are more than 12 carbons long. Soybean oil, for example, is 100 percent LCTs. Medium-chain triglycerides are 6 to 12 carbons long. Coconut oil contains roughly 40 percent LCTs and 60 percent MCTs.

The difference matters because our bodies metabolize MCTs differently than LCTs.

“MCTs are transported directly from the intestinal tract to the liver, where they’re likely to be directly burned off as fuel and raise the metabolic rate slightly,” explains researcher Marie-Pierre St-Onge of Columbia University. That means less is available to be circulated throughout the body and deposited in fat tissues.

I hope that helps answer your question. Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

[Resource]

• Jenna
        February 26, 2013 at 3:12 pm (5 years ago)

So I guess now I’m slightly confused lol. I read the discription above about the satuated fat contained in coconut oil, but I didn’t read anywhere in your explination where it stated why coconut oil is in fact still good for you if it has “60% (or more) the daily amount of saturated fat”…

• Megan Fenno
          February 27, 2013 at 9:22 pm (5 years ago)

Hi Jenna,
          So I did a little more digging and this is what I’ve found.

Coconut oil used exclusively for cooking is a good option because as you mentioned, it is a saturated fat. However, of the saturated fat options, coconut oil is the cleanest, is plant based, and can be sustainably harvested. If you opted to eat it in teaspoonfuls (there are benefits to it) I wouldn’t recommend doing that as part of your everyday routine.

I am by no means a doctor or nutritionist and don’t want to give you the wrong information– but this might be a good article to read: http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats/new-look-at-coconut-oil

Hope that helps!

6. samy
    February 25, 2013 at 2:40 pm (5 years ago)

• Megan Fenno
      February 25, 2013 at 4:32 pm (5 years ago)

Hi Samy! here is the information I was able to find:

I hope that helps answer your question. Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

[Resource]

• Jenna
        February 26, 2013 at 3:12 pm (5 years ago)

• Megan Fenno
          February 27, 2013 at 9:22 pm (5 years ago)

Hi Jenna,
          So I did a little more digging and this is what I’ve found.

Hope that helps!

7. Gretchen
    February 26, 2013 at 5:12 pm (5 years ago)

“Spread a thin layer on a burn to quicken the healing time.”

NO! No no no no no! NEVER put fat on a burn, it’ll only make it worse, and it can cause infection if the burn blisters and breaks. My mother used to slather my burns in butter when I was learning how to cook and burning myself all the time, and it sent me to the Emergency Room once after I developed sepsis from it.

Don’t do it!

• Megan Fenno
      February 27, 2013 at 9:09 pm (5 years ago)

Wow Gretchen! Thanks for the heads up! I was thinking more for after the burn was healed to help with the scarring but that is a very good point! Thank you for informing us all! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Daniella
        March 6, 2013 at 9:29 am (5 years ago)

Toothpaste helps when you get burned. It helps prevent blisters and bubbles. It should be applied as soon as the burn occurs. I keep one in my kitchen so it’s always available. Only use the paste… NOT the gel

• Kristy
          April 18, 2013 at 1:42 am (4 years ago)

Aloe is the best natural option for burn care. Keep some in the refrigerator for extra-soothing relief. Cheers!

• Katie Kelley
      February 27, 2013 at 11:57 pm (5 years ago)

Hi! My name is Katie, An I’m a professional baker who has had her fair share of burns and always sprays it with either olive oil, or my own homemade coconut burn treatment. The reason coconut oil and olive oil is good to put on burns (not open wounds, but minor burns) is due to the natural antibacterial properties of these oils. These oils also contain natural levels of vitamin E which are very good for your skin. The reason the butter caused sepsis is because it is an animal based product and therefore something our bodies do not readily recognize nor can it break down. Butter is fat, and pretty much fat only, no vitamins, minerals, and not too much nutrition to offer. So don’t fret about coconut or olive oil, they are great for the skin.

• Megan Fenno
        February 28, 2013 at 11:03 am (5 years ago)

Thanks, Katie! ๐Ÿ˜€

• Pam
          April 10, 2013 at 1:24 pm (4 years ago)

Hi, the best thing I have found for burns is Lavender oil. If soothes the burn and if you put it on right away won’t blister. Has always worked for me. Keep a bottle in my kitchen at all times.

• Amanda
      September 6, 2013 at 5:50 am (4 years ago)

Actually you can use coconut oil on burns and cuts and other such things. With burns you will want to wait until the heat is gone from it, usually running it under cold water is best. Then to aid in healing putting a thin layer of coconut oil helps. Especially if you add essential oils such as tea tree oil or something similar, which can also help keep out infections and such. I use it all the time for burns, cuts, diaper rash, everything!

8. Gretchen
    February 26, 2013 at 5:12 pm (5 years ago)

“Spread a thin layer on a burn to quicken the healing time.”

Don’t do it!

• Megan Fenno
      February 27, 2013 at 9:09 pm (5 years ago)

• Daniella
        March 6, 2013 at 9:29 am (5 years ago)

• Kristy
          April 18, 2013 at 1:42 am (4 years ago)

• Heather
            May 2, 2013 at 12:23 am (4 years ago)

Cool water is the ONLY thing that you should put on a burn. Think about it. When you get a burn, the burn feels hot to the touch. You want that heat to dissipate. If you put lotion, oil, aloe or anything on it, the heat can’t dissipate and the burn will deepen and thus get worse. Once a burn is no longer warm, then you can use aloe or coconut oil or whatever to help it heal. Nothing but cool water should be used for the first few days.

• Jessica
        May 30, 2013 at 8:59 am (4 years ago)

I got a sunburn this week and put coconut oil on it that night. The next day almost all the red was gone! And it was not hot or tender to touch! Amazing!! I use coconut oil all the time. I injest it daily and cant say enough good things about it!

• Katie Kelley
      February 27, 2013 at 11:57 pm (5 years ago)

• Megan Fenno
        February 28, 2013 at 11:03 am (5 years ago)

Thanks, Katie! ๐Ÿ˜€

• Pam
          April 10, 2013 at 1:24 pm (4 years ago)

• Amanda
      September 6, 2013 at 5:50 am (4 years ago)

9. Vanessa
    March 2, 2013 at 6:49 pm (5 years ago)

I accidentally purchased a few jars of REFINED coconut oil from spectrum, not the raw that I usually get. I was in a rush. Do you know if it has the same benefits? I used coconut oil for almost everything from skin, to teeth, to cooking and cleaning so I don’t want to start using it if I’m not getting the full benefits. thanks

10. Vanessa
    March 2, 2013 at 6:49 pm (5 years ago)

• leesie
      April 28, 2013 at 10:30 pm (4 years ago)

No, you do not want to use the refined. I did some research on this because I too did the same thing. you want the unrefined because it is in it’s purest state.

11. Claudia
    March 3, 2013 at 12:56 pm (5 years ago)

My husband had shoulder surgery with tons of very tight and sticky bandages to remove last night. I covered all the adhesive tape in coconut oil, then little by little lifted up the bandages while taking a rag dipped in oil to the edge of the “stickiness”. I pulled back very gently as the oil broke the bond between skin and bandage until they were all off. This worked great and was a lot less painful to remove. Plus, the skin is conditioned where the adhesive irritated it.

12. Claudia
    March 3, 2013 at 12:56 pm (5 years ago)

13. Laura
    March 4, 2013 at 1:01 pm (5 years ago)

It makes a wonderful personal lubricant, much better than commercial ones. Not to be used with Latex, of course.

14. Laura
    March 4, 2013 at 1:01 pm (5 years ago)

15. Janine Zamora
    March 7, 2013 at 5:56 am (5 years ago)

I also use coconut oil for oil pulling 2x a day! Awesome health benefits ๐Ÿ™‚

16. Janine Zamora
    March 7, 2013 at 5:56 am (5 years ago)

I also use coconut oil for oil pulling 2x a day! Awesome health benefits ๐Ÿ™‚

17. T
    March 11, 2013 at 2:21 pm (5 years ago)

Just wanted to say that you shouldn’t put oil on burns. Oils trap heat…

18. T
    March 11, 2013 at 2:21 pm (5 years ago)

Just wanted to say that you shouldn’t put oil on burns. Oils trap heat…

19. jenmac
    March 19, 2013 at 10:44 pm (5 years ago)

I have used coconut oil as my moisturizer all winter, and i love it. I dont have near as many breakouts. I did learn on the first warm spring day that I spent outside, that it only needs to be used at night! Bad sunburn!

20. jenmac
    March 19, 2013 at 10:44 pm (5 years ago)

21. Tonya
    March 25, 2013 at 6:55 pm (4 years ago)

We were trying to spiff up our car before selling it. Instead of buying the pricy car interior conditioners we rubbed coconut oil on it. Smells good and is shiny ๐Ÿ™‚

22. Tonya
    March 25, 2013 at 6:55 pm (4 years ago)

23. Pam fuller
    March 26, 2013 at 5:12 am (4 years ago)

I have been using coconut oil for a few years now and use it for just about everything, although I use it on my face all the time I do not use it around my eyes not that I think it is at all harmful but if it gets in the eye it makes them blurry and watery, that might be just me because I cannot use any cosmetics around my eyes that are oil based. My daughter had a very sore, very itchy chilblain on her toe recently I put some on her toe and it was instant relief.

24. Pam fuller
    March 26, 2013 at 5:12 am (4 years ago)

25. Kelsey
    March 31, 2013 at 4:45 am (4 years ago)

You can also let a small amount melt on your fingertips, and run it through your hair after you get out of the shower. I love it!! It helps calm the frizz, my hair seems to be healthier, and my hair has more volume.

26. Kelsey
    March 31, 2013 at 4:45 am (4 years ago)

27. Keleyna
    April 1, 2013 at 10:30 pm (4 years ago)

I’ve been using this as an at home hair treatment (this will be my 4th week). I’m 25 weeks pregnant and have noticed that my scalp had become severely dry and itchy and that I was losing hair by the clumpfuls. No matter what I did it didn’t help. I tried the avocado masks (turned out I’m highly allergic to avocado when it touches my skin); tried the egg whites and olive oil and it really didn’t do much; tried honey, olive oil and eggs, only made my hair worse to wash; tried apple cider vinegar, broke me out severely. So this was my last ditch effort. Since I started it, my scalp only itches once in a great while and I’m noticing that I’m losing less hair. All I do is apply it to damp hair and leave it on over night. Then I wash my hair a few times to remove all the oil and use my normal conditioner. I do this once a week. I now swear by it. I’m thinking about trying it for my stretch marks before they get worse too.

28. Keleyna
    April 1, 2013 at 10:30 pm (4 years ago)

29. Lynda
    April 5, 2013 at 8:24 am (4 years ago)

I use coconut oil and raw sugar as a lip scrub. Rub gently and let it soak in. Taste yummy. I also take about a tablespoon of coconut oil mixed with raw 1/2 pack raw sugar mix and enjoy. I do not really care for the oiley feeling eating the oil has but a small bit of raw sugar is really good.

30. Lynda
    April 5, 2013 at 8:24 am (4 years ago)

31. Courtney
    April 10, 2013 at 8:38 am (4 years ago)

I love coconut oil and use it on my hair and skin. It also worked wonders on my infant’s cradle cap. However, as a veterinarian, I can tell you with 100% confidence, that though adding a tsp to your dog’s food daily will help make their coat shiny, coconut oil will do NOTHING for fleas. I am an integrative vet and, unfortunately, there is nothing holistic that is effective for repelling or killing fleas/ticks (and the much touted garlic some people use is toxic to dogs and cats causing their red blood cells to rupture!).

32. Courtney
    April 10, 2013 at 8:38 am (4 years ago)

33. Karen
    April 17, 2013 at 9:48 pm (4 years ago)

You never put toothpaste or anything on a burn. I am an emergency room nurse and we have people put toothpaste, raw eggs, and anything else they have learned and we have to scrub it off. The Grossman burn center recommends keeping the burn dry and if it is deep enough, please have it treated .

34. Karen
    April 17, 2013 at 9:48 pm (4 years ago)

35. J.
    April 19, 2013 at 11:04 pm (4 years ago)

I use coconut oil for baking and cooking and love it. I have many food allergies and cannot use vegetable shortening and my son is allergic to dairy so I stay away from butter in my baking, so coconut oil (and coconut milk) is my #1 substitute in most recipes.

But I have never had success with using it in pie crust like you mentioned. Have you actually tried it? My problem is that coconut oil melts at skin temperature, so it is impossible for me to keep the pie crust cold enough when working with it for it to stay flakey. The key to flakey pie crust is to have pockets of oil, like little chunks of butter or shortening, but the coconut oil melts while I roll it out and it becomes an oily sheet, like a very greasy cracker.

If you have had success with using coconut oil in pie crust, I would love to know the secret to success.

• Angie
      April 30, 2013 at 10:14 am (4 years ago)

I haven’t tried it, but maybe freeze the oil before using it for crust? I can’t imagine it would go solid, but still be somewhat squishy for rolling.

• kat
      August 5, 2013 at 8:10 am (4 years ago)

I’ve never tried it but you may try putting your rolling pin in the freezer for a while before rolling it out, and if you have a stone or board you use to roll it on, chill that too. Freezing the oil would make it too hard to work with.

36. TAM
    August 19, 2013 at 8:36 pm (4 years ago)

Natural Paws pet store recommended I give my very smelly, itchy bloodhound (dog) as a supplement….It’s a miracle!!! I dip a milkbone dog biscuit in coconut oil 2 times a day and feed to him….After only a week he has lost the offensive odor and has stopped scratching all the time!…:)

37. Donna Shadoan
    August 28, 2013 at 5:08 pm (4 years ago)

my toddler has mosquito bites all over her legs and arms and I was wondering if coconut oil will work and if it does when should I put it on her? she also has diaper rashes sometimes too.

• Megan Fenno
      August 29, 2013 at 9:19 am (4 years ago)

Hi Donna! I would say that it doesn’t hurt to put coconut oil on your toddler. I’m a mother to a toddler as well (2 1/2) and I’ve used coconut oil on his dry skin and rash and it cleared up almost overnight. My doctor advised me to give him a bath, then apply the coconut oil or lotion so it’s absorbed into his skin. If you want to be absolutely sure, I’d call your pediatrician. Hope that helps! ๐Ÿ™‚ – Megan Fenno

38. Donna Shadoan
    August 28, 2013 at 5:08 pm (4 years ago)

• Megan Fenno
      August 29, 2013 at 9:19 am (4 years ago)

39. Organic Food
    July 28, 2017 at 1:31 am (2 months ago)

Hi,
    Thanks for sharing this amazing benefits of coconut oil. It has been a great help. Keep sharing and caring.

8Pingbacks & Trackbacks on The Many Amazing Uses for Coconut Oil

I love reading your feedback! Feel free to leave a comment!