Oh where to begin, I guess we could start with a picture.

Above is a picture from when I was first admitted into labor & delivery on February 1st.

The belly looks painful I know, that’s why I was so excited & eager to have this baby and get my body back to normal. If only I knew what was to come.

I was being induced, so they hooked me up to the I.V. &  started me on cervadil, which is a medication that is inserted on the side of the womb and left in place for 12 hours. The contractions started right away & lasted the entire time the cervadil was in place. But unfortunately, I didn’t make enough progress. So round two of the cervadil was administered after having the doctor break my water. Again, I had really horrible contractions & in the end, only dilated 3cm. Next up was pitocin, which is another medication that induces labor but goes through the I.V.  I was on pitocin for over 30 hours. 

When I finally was dilated to 4cm, I was able to receive an epidural. Thank goodness, because I didn’t think I could take another hour, or in my case, day, of contractions and labor pain. The epidural was such a relief until it started to wear off. They had inserted a continuous epi, so I was able to get a ‘refill’ of the medication by a tube that ran up to my shoulder & was connected to the tube that was in my spine. Two refills later, I was still in an immense amount of pain. Nothing seemed to help. I was then given an entire new continuous epidural again which again, temporarily  relieved the pain.

The only problem was I was given too much and was numb from my bust line down. If I had dilated completely, the doctors told me I wasn’t going to be able to give birth until the medicine wears off. My legs felt like they were 1000 lbs each and I had the shakes like I was convulsing (a side effect of epidurals) My blood sugar dropped so I was also getting sugar water through I.V. What made this entire situation worse was that I couldn’t eat or drink anything, not even water in case a c-section needed to be performed. Even worse, Myles decided to turn his head just enough to get himself slightly stuck in the birth canal. 

By early Friday morning after being in labor & having contractions since Tuesday, I was done. I couldn’t handle anymore. My blood pressure was on the rise, my heart rate was through the roof, Myles had his head turned & most of all I was weak. There was no way I could have delivered at that point. Doctors started to become concerned too as Myles had his head wedged in the birth canal and his heart rate started to drop. After about 56 hours of contractions, being pumped with fluids & getting sicker by the minute, the doctors made a group decision to go ahead with a c-section. 

Myles was born at 5:10am Friday, February 4th.

I remember brief parts of the surgery including feeling the surgeons getting his head out of the birth canal, it was the worst pain I had ever experienced. When shown Myles for the first time, John told me I had a weird look on my face while saying “That’s not my baby, that baby is fake.” I was really drugged up at that point.

Moving on to postpartum, everything seemed to be going fine. Myles was healthy weighing 7 lbs 5oz & measuring 19 inches long. Then things took a turn for the worse, for me, not the baby. I spent a total of 8 nights & 9 days in the hospital. 

Everything is a little foggy but I remember really not feeling good later in the day after delivery. Doctors  told me I lost a little bit too much blood during surgery and I was pumped with too many fluids from being on an I.V. for 4 days straight.

To make this long story a little bit shorter, my blood volume was too low for comfort and I ended up having two blood transfusions. The first one didn’t do much but the second one  I responded well to. My I.V. always had something going, antibiotics to keep me from getting an amniotic fluid infection having had my water broken for so long, iron, saline, etc.

In the meantime, my swelling reached new heights. Doctors said it is a normal way for a body to react when something life threatening happens such as significant blood loss. I was diagnosed with Pulmonary Edema and given lasics, a medicine to help rid the body of excess fluids and that I am STILL on as of today. A side effect too much fluid in your body is having the fluid seep into your lungs & decreasing the oxygen level. I was given an inhaler to help me cough out the fluids and put on oxygen so my oxygen levels didn’t fall to low.  

A few lung x rays and a heart ultrasound later along with the correct meds, I started to feel a little bit better. Peripartum Cardiomyopathy was also mentioned, which all this just scared me so badly. My heart rate and blood pressure wouldn’t go down, which made things worse. I remember asking the doctor how seriously this was and if it was fatal. I remember him taking a moment to answer, looking down and nodding his head yes. That did noting but made my blood pressure worse. This couldn’t possibly be happening. I couldn’t have a baby and then not survive to see him grow up. All these terrible thoughts were going through my head.

I was finally released from the hospital late Wednesday night & couldn’t be happier to bring Myles home. He was actually discharged from the hospital several days before me but I was able to keep him with me until I was able to go home as long as I had someone who was over the age of 18 with me at all times since I had to leave the room on occasion for tests, heart echos, etc.

The newest diagnosis I have now is endometritus, which is a infection of the uterus lining, usually showing up a few weeks postpartum. I thought something was wrong again earlier in the week when the internal pain I was experiencing worsened & I developed a fever along with other symptoms. 

Anyway, aside from all the medical problems I have encountered over the past two weeks, I say it is still all worth it because I have the most beautiful baby that brings us so much joy! (with an exception of poopy diapers)


*Pictures of Myles coming soon*

8 comments on “The Birth Experience Like No Other.”

  1. Megan, that was amazing. I would print it our and put it in his baby book. No matter how trying the 9 months may be, its all worth it when you see the miracle that was created… I had a similar situation; however, I never went into labor… We just scheduled a C-Section. Congrats to you, John & mr. Myles…

  2. Thank god you are both alright. I have to be honest it seems like the doctors did a major and very dangerous gamble with your and his health. There is no way a woman should be left to labour on medications to that extent. It is very lucky that 30 hours of pit after all that cerv did not make your uterus esentally explode. It was also bad procedure to leave him in knowing he was “stuck” in the birth canal. Once you feel better and are strong make sure to have that investigated. Much love!! Congrats on the beautiful baby boy!

  3. meghan, im so proud of you! you did a good job…i cant believe all that went on! jeeez yea i probably shouldnt have read that when i only have a week left!! lol im so glad your doin ok now but major kudos to you for being so strong!!! wow…i dont think ive ever heard of that much going on with labor! bravo! congratulations love!

  4. Oh my gosh! I’ve been wondering how you’re doing, you poor thing! What an ordeal! You are one tough cookie. So glad to hear everyone is doing well now, and can’t wait to see pictures of that sweet baby boy!

  5. OMG! I was so happy to see you posted on your blog & happy to hear Myles is doing well. But bless your heart! Sounds like you have been put through the ringer. Hugs to you! Hope you’re feeling better now. Congrats to you & your family! ~Jessica

  6. Thank you ladies! I am starting to feel a little bit better day by day. I am still having nightmares about the whole experience though! Maybe when I return to work I won’t have as much time to think about it & my nightmares will go away!

  7. I cannot believe you had to go through all of that =( This is what makes me want a natural birth (IF possible) because I’ve had so many friends tell the horror stories of petocin.

    I am so happy you are doing better now! Your baby boy is absolutely precious, thanks for posting a pic of the 3 of you =)

I love reading your feedback! Feel free to leave a comment!